Greg's Ride: Ontario's Ride for Safer Cycling
Save the Date - Registration Open Soon
All across Ontario, people are riding their bikes in support of amazing causes. There are rides for heart, rides for cancer and rides for mental health - Greg's Ride: Ontario's Ride for Safer Cycling is the only bike ride supporting cycling.
Join us on Sunday, September 25th, 2016 for the Greg’s Ride: Ontario's Ride for Safer Cycling, where 100% of the profits go towards supporting cycling advocacy and programs across Ontario. There are several ways to participate this year, whether you can be with us in Milton for the ride or not.
To support this ride, you can:
- Register to ride in one of our 3 ride distances
- Encourage your friends and family to join you
- Fundraise to receive a free jersey
- Volunteer and help bring this amazing event to life!
Greg's Ride History
In 2006, OPP Sergeant Greg Stobbart was killed while cycling on Tremaine Road in Milton. After Greg’s death, his wife Eleanor McMahon founded the Share the Road Cycling Coalition in his memory to advocate for safer roads for all Ontarians. At Greg's Ride; Ontario's Ride for Safer Cycling, we ride in Greg's Memory, celebrating how far cycling has come in 10 years and striving to making Ontario the safest place in Canada to ride a bike.
Register to Ride
Registration Coming Soon...
Register to ride and support the work of Share the Road in building safer, more accessible and more comfortable places to cycle in Ontario.
We are working to once again offer 3 ride distances to participants. Precise ride distances are subject to change as we confirm all route permits with local officials. All rides will be on the roadway.
Registration includes: on-route support and snack stations, a hot lunch, beverages from our friends at Steamwhistle, a participant kit bag of goodies and a family-friendly post-ride celebration.
Family Ride (approx. 25km)
The Challenger (approx. 60km)
The Ultimate (approx. 100km)
Support Share the Road By Registering for PwC Epic Tour
PwC Epic Tour – Canada’s largest GranFondo cycling event – is pleased to announce that it will be donating 20% of registration proceeds to Share the Road for any supporter of the organization who registers using code SHARE2016. Epic offers route distances of 50K, 80K, 110K, 125K, 140K and 165K. The event’s Finish Line Festival features live music, 50 exhibitors, complimentary rider food and a free Steam Whistle beer!
The 2016 event, scheduled for Sunday September 11, expects as many as 4,000 riders. For event information and to register, visit www.epictour.ca... And don't forget to use code SHARE2016
Fundraise for a Jersey
Want to participate in this ride while wearing one of our fabulous Share the Road jerseys? Can’t be at the event but want to support Greg’s Ride? Share the Road fans have the opportunity to raise funds to support cycling advocacy and programs and receive a complimentary jersey. We have jerseys available for the first 50 supporters across the province who raise $250 or more in support of our work.
All proceeds from Greg’s Ride will go towards supporting Share the Road’s work that touches all regions of Ontario. Share the Road leads cycling advocacy campaigns at Queen’s Park, coordinates the Bicycle Friendly Ontario program and has developed educational road safety campaigns. Recent accomplishments include:
- Working closely with the Minister of Transportation on the launch of #CycleON: Ontario’s Cycling Strategy (2013) and the allocation of $25 Million for cycling infrastructure (2014)
- Advocating for the inclusion of a 1m safe passing law in Bill 31: The Making Ontario’s Roads Safer Act (2014)
- Hosting the 7th Annual Ontario Bike Summit (2015)
- Recognition of 28 communities from across Ontario through the Bicycle Friendly Communities Program (2015)
- Release of the award-winning “It Moves Us All” video (2013)
- Development of “Stay Safe, Stay Back” campaign aimed at educating cyclists and truck drivers on how to safely share the road, which has been adopted by the City of Toronto, City of Ottawa, Wal-Mart and other trucking companies
In 2016 our work will include:
- Keeping cycling on the provincial agenda by building the Ontario Cycling Advocacy Network and working at Queen’s Park with the Provincial All-Party Cycling Caucus
- Growing the Bicycle Friendly Ontario program by providing affordable workshops to municipalities who want to apply for Bicycle Friendly Communities designation or to upgrade their current ranking
- Piloting a Bicycle Friendly Businesses program
- Providing free webinars to cycling stakeholders when important provincial policy issues are being reviewed
- Continuing to be a respected resource on cycling best practices for municipal staff and advocates
We need you to help maintain the momentum!
Contact Jamie@sharetheroad.ca now to receive a copy of our jersey fundraising form. Limited quantities available (50), please let us know your jersey size in your email.
Refer a Friend and Save
Refer a friend to register for Greg's Ride and get a 15% discount off your registration! Simply email email@example.com with the name of your friend. Once we confirm that friend has registered, you will be sent either (1) a discount code for 15% off (if you haven't yet registered yourself) or (2) a 15% refund through Eventbrite (if you have already registered and paid.)
Or Ride as a Team and Save Even More!
Ride as a group of 3 or more and each team member will receive 20% off registration! The discount applies to whichever route individual team members would like to do. For example, team member #1 can register to receive 20% off the Memorial Ride and team member #2 can receive 20% off the 100km etc. Team leaders should email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the discount code. The more, the merrier... so get inviting!
Volunteer at Greg's Ride
We could not run Greg’s Ride without volunteer support. In 2016 we are looking for enthusiastic volunteers to provide support in the lead up to the event and on-site on Sunday, September 25th. Volunteer opportunities include:
- Event promotion (distributing posters to local bike shops, at cycling events and to supportive businesses across the GTHA
- Pre-event set up of tables and road signage*
- Staffing the registration booth on-site
- Hosting snack stations along the ride route*
- Assisting with lunch distribution
- Event tear down and signage pick-up* (Sunday PM)
Pre-event volunteers (promotion, pre-registration and on-site registration) will receive a 20% discount on their ride registration. Volunteers helping out during the ride will not be able to participate in the ride but will receive a free lunch.
The primary contact for all volunteers will be email@example.com
Thanks to support from